KLARE LANSON CURRICULUM VITAE
WRITER / RESEARCH / ARTIST IN POETRY, SOUND, PERFORMANCE
Klare Lanson (she/her) is a writer and artist in poetry, sound and performance whose current digital ethnographic PhD research examines creative digital parenting practices. Working for over 25 years as performer, director, curator, writer, editor and data consultant, she investigates digital tensions and mobile entanglement in relation to home, place, and networked versions of self. Curatorial practice includes artist run space HardLines (1993), directing Sym Choon Gallery (1995), working on the visual arts program for the 1996 Adelaide Festival and directing Umbrella Studios, a contemporary arts organisation in North Queensland. As a performance poet, Lanson’s spoken word electronica album Every Third Breath (2003) was co-produced in Melbourne with Cornel Wilczek and toured internationally. Using online participatory encounters and socially engaged listening work that moves through mobile media studies and the philosophy of sound and listening, collaborations include #sonicselfies (2020–), #listeningtomediatedmothers (2020–2021), #unmaskedselfiesinsolidarity (2020), Home is Inside Us (2019), #TouchOnTouchOff (2017), Commute (2014–2016), and #wanderingcloud (2012–2015). Recent publications include The Journal of Public Space (2021) and Digital Culture & Society (2019). Lanson is co-editor of The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media Art (with Larissa Hjorth and Adriana de Souza e Silva, 2020), reviewed for Realtime Arts, Trouble Magazine, and co-edited the Australian literary anthology Going Down Swinging. She currently teaches at RMIT’s School of Design.
Bachelor of Arts (Art History, Anthropology, Politics)—The University of Adelaide, 1989.
CAP (Poetry, Cultural Studies, Cybercultures)—The University of Melbourne, 1999.
Bachelor of Media and Communication (Hons 1st class)—RMIT, 2017 (VC Award for Excellence).
PhD Candidate Media and Communication, Design & Social Context—RMIT University, 2018–.
SELECT ARTS PROJECTS / PERFORMANCE WORK / WRITING
Participatory and Live Art / Spoken Word / Sound / Collaborative Art Projects
- #sonicselfies, 2020–
- #listeningtomediatedmothers, 2020–2021
- #unmaskedselfiesinsolidarity, with Marnie Badham, Tammy Wong Hulbert, Sherry Lui, Isabella Capezio, and the RMIT Curatorial Collective, 2020.
- Kindred Studios, Home is Inside Us, with Paul Fletcher and Anthony Lyons, 2019.
- Liquid Architecture’s Eavesdropping & Make it Up Club, Justice as Improvisation, with Bruce Mowson, 2018.
- Undue Noise Screening TouchOnTouchOff and semi-improvised performance with Paul Fletcher, 2018.
- Punctum Inc—sound performance for Sounds Like Hear, with Paul Fletcher and Joel Stern, 2016.
- Chamber Poets, Poeticas: spoken word performances 2015 & 2016.
- #wanderingcloud performances, Castlemaine State Festival (The Woolen Mill) and Queensland Poetry Festival (Judith Centre for Contemporary Art) 2015.
- Queensland Poetry Festival 2015—Readings, Hook Me Up performance, soundscape spoken word performance for Up Late Quasimodo’s Dream (experimental version of DUNE: David Lynch tribute).
- Newstead Short Story Tattoo 2015 & 2013.
- #commute project film award, Castlemaine International Film Festival, 2015.
- Live Performance Bendigo Planetarium for Elemental, with Neil Boyack, 2014.
- Punctum Inc Live Arts Seedpod residency with Damian Mason, Commute development, 2014.
- Undue Noise Inc. collaboration with composer Damian Mason, Commute (electroacoustic works) 2013 / 2014.
- #wanderingcloud performance project preview, with Clocked Out Duo (piano & percussion), Jacques Soddell (video), Andree Cozens (soprano) 2013 project site for #wanderingcloud + video Promo by Damon Girbon. Reviews Realtime #118 Dec 2013. The Poetry of Catastrophe and #127 May 2015. On the Line Between Earth and Sky.
- Square Poets, Federation Square, Melbourne Arts Festival, curated by UK Performance Poet Luke Wright, 2012.
- Cloud Crowd, Art Fields performance at The Market Building (celebrating 150yrs) 2012.
- The Cloud Mistress, ICU Punctum Inc (FDTDS), April 2012 & Art Fields performance, 2012.
- Undue Noise improvisations 2012–2014 at Bendigo Fire Station & Punctum ICU.
- Castlemaine Word Mine, 2012.
- Performance Presentation for Meanland (Meanjin / Overland) at The Wheelers Centre, Melbourne, 2010.
- Arts Vic funding to create / record / produce CD Every Third Breath (producer Cornel Wilcek) 2003.
- Melbourne Arts Festival 2001 & 2005 / Melbourne Writers Festival 2004 / What is Music? Festival 2004.
- Artist Residency FRUC, Montpellier, France & Performances London/New York/Berlin 2005.
- Performance Tour New Zealand (Wellington, Dunedin, Auckland) 2007 / This Is Not Art Festival (TINA) 2002.
- Over 200 solo and collaborative performances including Clocked Out Productions / Alicia Sometimes / Red Cabbage Inc / PVI Collective / UQ / Hypersense Complex / Emile Zile / 13%punk / Qua / The Bowery Poetry Club / Big Day Out / Liner Notes / Going Down Swinging Launches / 3RRR / Babble.
Publishing / Literature / Writing / Reviews / Arts Editing
- “#listeningtomediatedmothers: reflections on the performative shelfie at the digital-material nexus”, co-authored with Ingrid Richardson Special Issue: Visualising the Shelfie Movement: Documenting Digital Materialities, Digital Culture & Education (forthcoming).
- “#unmaskedselfiesinsolidarity: from self-expression to social art in public space”, lead author with Marnie Badham and Tammy Wong-Hulbert, Journal of Public Space (2021).
- The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media Art, co-editor with Larissa Hjorth and Adriana e Souza de Silva (2020).
- “Mobile Cultures and the Asia Pacific” co-authored with Larissa Hjorth, The International Encyclopedia of Gender, Media and Communication (2020).
- “TouchOn/TouchOff: Mobile Media Art & Digital Wayfaring: Creative Practice Ethnography into Regional Working Mothers Commuting Practices”. Digital Culture & Society (2019).
- Solid Air: Australian & New Zealand Spoken Word Anthology (UQP, 2019).
- Minarets #9, Amongst Clouds of Dust, Only Mountains—A Garden, edited by Craig Fultz. 30pp collaborative poem (Compound Press, 2018).
- Critical Reviewer for Punctum Inc Live Arts: theWay~theWater~theWalk, The Monotony of Boredom; Displacing Visibility.
- Catalogue Essay for Forest Keegal’s participatory project Mound: Leaf and Twig Conservatorium 2017.
- Cycles of the Day (I am Reverent) audio publication Going Down Swinging #37 2016.
- #wanderingcloud suite of poems in Shots from the Chamber Anthology, eds Myron Lysenko, Ben Oost, Christopher Race (Melbourne: Pomonal Publishing 2016).
- Review Writer for Realtime Arts: Chamber Made Opera—Another Other; Rebel Elders—Cross generational soundings.
- Disturbance, review of Poetry Book by Ivy Alvarez, for Going Down Swinging Inc.
- Trouble Magazine Feature Writer: Forest Keegal Spitball Constellation, Arthur & Corinne Cantrill All Part of the Process, Undue Noise Expanded Cinema Moments, Regional Arts Victoria Small Towns Transformations We are Dookie, David Frazer & Paul Kelly Little Aches & Pains, Chris Guest Photoshop is my Friend, Floating Horizon, Sleepers Publishing Stralian Stories, Hotham Street Ladies (HSL) Art Collective Eat Me Love Me See Me.
- Australian Poetry Journal Winter (audio piece) 2014.
- Overland Literary Journal audio publication 2013, edited by Maxine Beneba Clarke. Audio Overland II: Resistance.
- Co-Editor of Literary Anthology Going Down Swinging 2008–2010.
- Feature Artist in The Material Poem e-Anthology (ed James Stuart, PhD).
- Proof Reader for Black Dog Books 2001–2002.
- Visual Arts Program Telstra Adelaide Festival 1996 / Adelaide Writers Week—assisted Rose White 1994.
- Published writing & poetry in various: Modpiece / Going Down Swinging / Cordite Online Poetry Review / Overland Literary Journal / Broadsheet (CACSA) / Artlink / Art Monthly / Zen Magazine / phonebook.com (UK) / The Between Space Anthology.
Random Digital Media Practice
- Soundscape spoken word film score commission for French artist Stéphan Barron’s film Traits—15min (2014), aired on Channel Arte, French WebSYNradio (audio) and Australian Poetry Journal (audio).
- Live semi-improvisation sound works (Ableton) & mobile phone sound performance work 2011–current.
- Presenter for Castlemaine community radio 94.9 MainFM (3 years), including the making of 6 radio documentaries.
- Live Visual Mixing (Grid / Vidvox) / Basic Animatic creation 2005–2010.
- Black Cat Café Documentary (dir) 1999 / La Mama MIAF film (dir) and screening 2005.
- Pre 2000 web design: Umbrella Studios, 1997 / Biennial of Contemporary Australian Art, Art Gallery of South Australia, 1996 / Sym Choon Gallery Online, 1995.
- cafe.on.net, Rundle Street, Adelaide, 1994.
Education / Panels / Conferences
- Sessional Instructor at RMIT University’s School of Design; Media Cultures, 2021 & 2022 and Emerging Digital Cultures, 2021 & 2022.
- Research Assistant to Distinguished Professor Larissa Hjorth, director, DCP ECP, RMIT University, 2018–2021.
- Association of Internet Research. AoIR Conference paper, 2020: #unmaskedselfiesinsolidarity: From self<ie> care to collective care—Affective artivism, networked belonging and mobile media participatory art.
- Selfie Subjectivities Symposium, panel presentation. RMIT & Swinburne University, April 2018.
- Papers—Victorian Writers Centre, 2008; 2009; Regional Galleries Summit, 1998 / Melbourne Emerging Writers Festival, 2007 / This is Not Art Festival (TINA), 2002.
- Ran spoken word workshops to high school and disadvantaged youth for the Geraldton Arts Festival, 2005.
- Guest Lecturing in Arts Administration at James Cook University, 1997; 1998.
- Designed, coordinated and chaired a forum on Community Arts Practice, 1998.
- Co-coordinated Artist Week (includes Chair) Telstra Adelaide Festival, 1996.
Visual Arts & other Curatorial Practice
- Curated Talkin it To the Streets for Overload Poetry Festival, Melbourne, 2005 & 2006.
- Director Umbrella Studios Contemporary Art Space, North Qld 1996 to 1998 (Arts Qld/Ozco).
- Visual Arts Program Telstra Adelaide Festival with David O’Halloran, Dir Barry Kosky, 1996.
- Co-Curator Hard Lines Artist Run Space, Adelaide, 1994–1995 with Nicholas Bell (48 exhibitions).
- Director, Sym Choon Gallery, Adelaide (contemporary art) 1994–1995 (20 exhibitons).
- Gallery Assistant, Anima Gallery, Adelaide 1993.
Academic Editing Work
- Palmer, Daniel, and Grace McQuilten (eds.). (forthcoming). The World We Want: Dystopian and Utopian Impulses in Art Making.
- Claudia Sandberg (2021). Peter Lilienthal: A Cinema of Exile and Resistance. Berghahn Books.
- Hjorth, Larissa, de Souza e Silva, Adriana, and Klare Lanson (eds.) (2020). The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media Art. Routledge.
- Hjorth, Larissa and Ingrid Richardson (2020). Ambient Play. MIT Press.
- Horst, Heather et al. (2020). Digital Media Practices in Households: Kinship through Data. Amsterdam University Press.
- Hjorth, Larissa, Harris, Anne, Jungnickel, Kat, and Gretchen Coombs. (2019). Creative Practice Ethnographies, Lexington Books.
- Hjorth, Larissa, and Sam Hinton (2019). Understanding Social Media, 2nd Edition. (2019). Sage.
- Manyozo, Linje, (2017). Communicating Development with People. Routledge.
- Hjorth, Larissa, Horst, Heather, Galloway, Anne, and Genevieve Bell. Routledge Companion to Digital Ethnography (2016). Routledge.
- ARC Grants x 2, MA Thesis x 2, PhD Thesis x 12.
- Various Reports, Journal Articles and Book Chapters 2015–current.
Commitees / Groups/ Grant Acquisitions:
- Contemporary Art and Social Transformation (CAST) Research Group, RMIT University.
- PhD Scholarship (RSS) 2018–2022.
- Seedpod Residency Funding, Puctum Inc & Creative Victoria.
- Regional Arts Victoria and Mount Alexander Shire Council funding for #wanderingcloud.
- Annual operational funding through Arts Victoria & Australia Council—Going Down Swinging Inc.
- Fundraiser administration and organisation for Going Down Swinging Inc., and SADO, a grassroots fundraising collective.
- Overload Poetry Festival Management Committee (Melbourne) / Contemporary Art Centre SA Management Board (Adelaide) / Adelaide Fringe Festival visual arts committee/ Townsville Professional Arts Working Group (PAWG).
- Yarra City Project Grant / Melbourne City Council Project Grant/ Arts Vic Project Grant.
- Operational and Triennial Funding Arts Qld / Australia Council / Prof Dev Grant Regional Arts Qld.
- Digital Media Program Arts Qld / Regional Arts Dev Fund / Breakwater Casino Trust Fund.
- Museum Dev Grant Arts SA / Dept of Small Business, Tourism and Industry / French Embassy.